Traffic Safety Scholars
Ever thought about a career in traffic safety? It’s a multidisciplinary field providing tremendous opportunities for advocates, business/finance/management professionals, communicators, educators, engineers, injury prevention specialists, marketers, planners, police officers, public health practitioners, researchers, scientists, and others who want to make a difference in people’s lives. Government agencies, non-profit organizations, businesses, and universities employ thousands of professionals who use their expertise to improve safety on our nation’s roadways.
The 2018 Traffic Safety Scholars Program provides awards of up to $1,000 to undergraduate and graduate students to help defray the cost of attending the Lifesavers Conference on Highway Safety Priorities. Set for April 22-24 in San Antonio, Texas, you’ll not only learn about highway safety issues from leading experts, but network with the largest gathering of highway safety professionals anywhere in the country.
Visit this page in September 2017 to apply for the 2018 conference in San Antonio, TX.
- You must be enrolled on a full- or part-time basis at an accredited college or university during the 2017-18 academic year.
- Your application must include:
– A copy of your current student I.D.
– The name, title and contact information of your faculty advisor
– A 500 to 1,000 word essay based on the question asked on the application
- Applications are due by November 18, 2017. All applicants will be notified of their status on or before January 5, 2018.
- Priority will be given to students who submit a poster presentation discussing highway safety research initiatives.
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee of traffic safety experts and will be judged on the basis of completeness and your essay.
- Applicants may be subject to an interview with the review committee.
- The review committee reserves the right to not award scholarships if it is deemed there are no suitable applicants for the award.
- Students who live and/or attend school within 50 miles of San Antonio will be awarded $500; all others will receive $1,000. The scholarship will be given directly to the recipient at the preconference reception in San Antonio (see below) and must be used to defray expenses associated with attendance at Lifesavers.
- You must pay the $100 student registration fee (a discount of $250) that guarantees admission to more than 80 workshops, three plenary sessions and the exhibit hall, plus two lunches and refreshment breaks. You are expected to attend the full conference.
- Special lodging rates for the conference hotels are available. Reservations can be made via links on the Lifesavers Conference Website. Visit the Hotel/Travel page to make your reservations.
- You must participate in a preconference reception with industry leaders on Saturday, April 21 at 3:30 pm immediately followed by a reception with Lifesavers Planning Committee members and invited guests, a debriefing with the conference planning team on Monday, April 23 at 3:45 pm, and post about your Lifesavers experience on social media (Facebook, college/university website, blogging site) after the conference and forward a link to the post to the Lifesavers Conference organizers for future promotional purposes.
Questions? Contact Lofgren@meetingsmgmt.com or call 703-922-7944