The deadline for applying for a 2017 scholarship has passed. Visit this page in September 2017 to apply for the 2018 conference in San Antonio, TX. (2017 application deadline was November 18, 2016. Applicants have been notified of their status for the 2017 conference.)
Ever thought about a career in traffic safety? It’s a multi-disciplinary field providing tremendous opportunities for advocates, business/finance/management professionals, communicators, educators, engineers, injury prevention specialists, marketers, planners, police officers, public health practitioners, researchers, scientists, and others who want to make a difference in people’s lives. Government agencies, non-profit organizations, businesses, and universities employ thousands of professionals who use their expertise to improve safety on our nation’s roadways. The 2017 Traffic Safety Scholars Program provides awards of up to $1,000 to undergraduate and graduate students to help defray the cost of attending the Lifesavers Conference on Highway Safety Priorities. Set for March 26-28 in Charlotte, North Carolina, you’ll not only learn about highway safety issues from leading experts, but network with the largest gathering of highway safety professionals anywhere in the country.
- You must be enrolled on a full- or part-time basis at an accredited college or university during the 2016/17 academic year.
- Your application must include:
– A copy of your current student I.D.
– The name, title and contact information of your faculty advisor
– A 500 – 1,000 word essay
- Priority will be given to students who submit a poster presentation discussing highway safety research initiatives.
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee of traffic safety experts and will be judged on the basis of completeness and your essay.
- Applicants may be subject to an interview with the review committee.
- The review committee also reserves the right to not award scholarships if it is deemed there are no suitable applicants for the award.
- Students who live and/or attend school within 50 miles of Charlotte will be awarded $500; all others will receive $1,000. The scholarship will be given directly to the recipient at the preconference reception in Charlotte (see below) and must be used to defray expenses associated with attendance at Lifesavers.
- All students (including Traffic Safety Scholar Program award recipients) attending the Lifesavers Conference must register at the special $100 student rate.
- Special lodging rates for the conference hotels are available only through the Lifesavers Conference reservations portal. Visit the Hotel/Travel page to make your reservations.
- Students must participate in a preconference reception with industry leaders on Saturday, March 25 at 5:30pm; a debriefing with the conference planning team on Monday, March 27 at 3:45pm; and post about their Lifesavers experience on social media (Facebook, college/university website, blogging site) during or after the conference and forward a link to the post to the Lifesavers Conference organizers for future promotional purposes.
Questions? Contact Lofgren@meetingsmgmt.com or call 703-922-7944